Thursday, October 13, 2011

Design in our lives reaction, field trip #2

Whats defines art to be high function or low function? Well on my trip to the MoMa at the "Talk to me" exhibit, I was able to see some arts that I would define as high or low function. When I first walked in I really liked the piece that was interactive, alot of people were standing next to it and playing with it. But I didn't choose this as one of my works.
"Cross fire from the series Natural Occurence" really caught my eye for a piece that can be defined low function. Because silverware does nothing on its on and can be lived without. In the Stone Ages people ate with their hands. I consider this piece low function because one its not really needed, we can live without it and we have to provide mobility to it.
Another piece I considered low functioning is the "Menstruation Machine" it is not practical. Women have been dealing with menstruation for years I have seen many different sanitary napkins and cups to contain the blood flow, but never something of this sort. I couldn't imagine this being comfortable or sanitary. Also, men do not menstruate so what would be the purpose of them using this?
Now to the good stuff! The "JetBlue Interface" and "Metrocard Vending Machine" both of these I would consider high functioning. I consider them high function because they are practical and can be used for everyday use. They are both self service which allow for faster service to the consumer. One is used in the airport and the other is used in subway terminal.



Sources:

Geoffrey Mann "Cross Fire from the series Natural Occurence" 2010

Sputiniko!Design Interactions Department) Royal college of art
"Menstruation Machine- Takashi's Take" 2010

Masamichi Udagawa, Sigi Moeslinger,Bruce Pringle of Antenna Design " Jetblue Interface"2004

Masamichi,udagawa & Sigi Moeslinger of Antenna Design, David Reinfurt, Kathleen Holman,MTA New York City Transit "MetroCard Vending Machine" 1999

3 comments:

  1. Menstruation Machine?? how that works??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Juan,
    The menstruation machine is basically a steel undergarment, i dont know how it would work but it is not realistic.

    ReplyDelete