Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sculpture Center Reaction"Field Trip 3"

Sanford Biggers: Cosmic Voodoo Circus

The Sculpture Center was a nice getaway in Long Island City. I wasn't expecting to see what I did, when the professor explained what the center would look like I was expecting more of metal artwork. Instead there was this Voodoo like video playing with drums and chanting in the large space it made it seem the speakers were really close to you.The A Joia Orixa was very interesting and seem to match the title of the exhibition and space very well. The statue stood tall and wide, the color was grasping, the music from the video match what the statues look. This piece makes the space seem like it belongs as well as the billboard (Chesire). The Lower level space was my favorite of the exhibtions on show, the smell o it was funny at first but then looking around at the different pieces that were up along with the stories that went with it reminded me of the subway station. The pieces by Rona Yefman: Time Kills, fit in perfectly with the space, it kind of seems like people are jumping out at you talking to you in the subway station like the random homeless people that do come up to you. The artworks from this exhibit all tie into each other perfectly considering the space they are within. I really enjoyed this field trip and if I were ever in the area I would stop by the Sculpture Center again.


Sources:

Sanford Biggers "A Joia Do Orixa" 2011
Sanford Biggers "Chesire" 2010-2011
Rona Yefman "Shanghi Kate" 2011, "Dame of the world" 2011

1 comment:

  1. Joanne,
    I know exactly what you mean! I didn't expect the Sculpture Center to look the way it did. It's unique and, as you mentioned, could very well serve the purpose of a getaway. Good job!

    ReplyDelete